Do you like Italian desserts? Who doesn’t right…? Tiramisu, itself speaks isn’t it? Not only just tiramisu but its derived versions like eggnog tiramisu too. This Italian Amaretto Semifreddo will never turn you off…! Heard of Italian gelatos…? Here is the pistachio gelato without ice cream maker.
I made the topping – candied almonds a week earlier. You can use these candied almonds in ice creams or in any desserts. Semifreddo literally means semi frozen. Other frozen desserts which you can try are Mint sherbet and easy avocado icecream.
My better half is also much fond of Italian desserts. One day after lunch, he asked something sweet for “just a taste”. There was nothing left in our fridge. This motivated for doing something sweet for him.
- For candied almonds:
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup amaretto disaronno
- ¼ cup of sugar
- For semifreddo:
- ½ cup of sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups of heavy cream (whipping cream)
- For making candied Almonds:
- Preheat oven to 325 0F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Soak almonds with amaretto in a small bowl. Let it rest for 15 minutes. Drain the nuts and reserve semifreddo. Put nuts in a bowl and sprinkle sugar over them.
- Spread nuts into the baking sheet in a single layer and put into the oven and toast it. Gently stir them halfway for 12 to 15 minutes. When sugar begins to crystallize around the edge of the nuts, take off from oven.
- Lightly grease a 4½ X 8 ½ inch loaf pan and line it with a plastic wrap.
- Fill a sauce pan with one third full of water and bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, and sugar in a heat proof mixing bowl. Set it over the simmering water, making sure that the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk constantly until the mixture is hot to touch and sugar is dissolved.
- Attach the bowl to the mixture and whip on medium high speed until the eggs have gained volume and cool to touch. Add reserved amaretto and almond extract and whip well.
- Take another bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Take one third of whipping cream and fold into egg mixture. Slowly add rest of whipping cream and fold until just combined and not much white streaks remain.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and smoothen its top. Cover with plastic wrap, freeze it for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove semifreddo from freezer, invert it into a serving plate and unwrap it. Put sugared almonds on top and sides. Cover it and freeze until ready to serve.
This semifreddo will bring you to an amazing level. So I can conclude that Italian desserts are heavenly. The entire dessert got finished in the same day….