I’m very glad to hear great response from you all about the new look and feel of this blog. Thanks to all. Recently we visited a beach, enjoying the beauty of sunset. At the end of day, when sun says good bye, it gives its best to glamorize our eyes – the golden rays. My focus slowly shifted to waves. It was in the same motion with a little difference in its drift, rolling and passing….before the sunset and after… Combination of rice and mango in the goodness of milk gives the dessert mango phirni.
A lot of mangoes caught my attention to make a mango based dessert. This is a North Indian dessert with goodness of saffron and nuts.
- 2 large sweet ripe mangos
- ¼ cup of basmati rice
- 4 cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons of sugar (Add more or less as per your taste)
- A generous pinch of saffron
- ½ teaspoon of crushed cardamom
- ½ tablespoon of chopped pistachios
- ½ tablespoon of blanched and crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoon of chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon of chopped almonds
- A pinch of saffron
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
- With a kitchen towel, wipe and spread it in a dry plate and let them dry.
- Peel and chop mangoes. Make smooth mango pulp with a blender or grinder and set aside.
- Grind dried rice to coarse grains.
- In a saucepan, heat milk. When it boils, reduce heat to low. Add ground rice. Stir continuously to avoid any lumps.
- Add sugar and keep on stirring.
- When the volume of milk is reduced and the rice is well cooked, add saffron, cardamom, pistachios and almonds.
- Stir them well and take off from heat and let it cool.
- When it is completely cooled, add mango pulp and mix it well uniformly.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours. When ready to serve, top it with pistachios, almonds and saffron.
If you love mangoes and mango based desserts, this will be a good treat for you.