Mango Phirni/ Mango Kheer/ Mango Payasam is one perfect fruit if you love pairing of rice based dessert. I’m very glad to hear great response from you all about the new look and feel of this blog. Thanks to all. Recently we visited a beach, enjoying the beauty of sunset. At the end of day, when sun says good bye, it gives its best to glamorize our eyes – the golden rays. My focus slowly shifted to waves. It was in the same motion with a little difference in its drift, rolling and passing….before the sunset and after… Combination of rice and mango in the goodness of milk gives the dessert mango phirni. If you are a dessert person, try caramel banana mousse and mixed parfaits. They are easy to make desserts. Tell me…are you a healthy freak? then go for our raw vegan desserts like kiwi pudding, persimmon pudding and nectarine parfaits.
A lot of mangoes caught my attention to make a mango based dessert. This is a North Indian dessert with goodness of saffron and nuts.
- 2 large sweet ripe mangos
- ¼ cup of basmati rice
- 4 cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons of sugar (Add more or less as per your taste)
- A generous pinch of saffron
- ½ teaspoon of crushed cardamom
- ½ tablespoon of chopped pistachios
- ½ tablespoon of blanched and crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoon of chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon of chopped almonds
- A pinch of saffron
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
- With a kitchen towel, wipe and spread it in a dry plate and let them dry.
- Peel and chop mangoes. Make smooth mango pulp with a blender or grinder and set aside.
- Grind dried rice to coarse grains.
- In a saucepan, heat milk. When it boils, reduce heat to low. Add ground rice. Stir continuously to avoid any lumps.
- Add sugar and keep on stirring.
- When the volume of milk is reduced and the rice is well cooked, add saffron, cardamom, pistachios and almonds.
- Stir them well and take off from heat and let it cool.
- When it is completely cooled, add mango pulp and mix it well uniformly.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours. When ready to serve, top it with pistachios, almonds and saffron.
If you love mangoes and mango based desserts, this will be a good treat for you.