Mango pickle or Kadumanga achar is listed as the “make ahead” item while preparing Onam sadhya. This is a spicy version of pickle. I’m a little obsessed with this mango pickle I means…. I can have it with anything from rice to bread. In my childhood, when everybody eats parotta and chili chicken, my preference would be parotta and mango pickle. A kinda weird…right? Similar pickle recipe is apple pickle.
Raw mangoes have a sour taste. Do you remember when have you last tasted the goodness of raw mango rubbed with a little salt and red chilli powder (or cayenne pepper)…? There is a balance of sour, salt and hotness isn’t it..? This is a much demanded snack during my childhood when the mango season is on its way. I crave for this even now. Some other sadhya recipes here are inji pachadi, dates payasam and olan. This is ofcourse, my mother style of making mango pickle.
- 2 extra large/ 500 g raw green mango
- 5 tablespoons/ 1 pot of garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of crushed mustard seeds (with mortar and pestle)
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds/uluva
- ½ teaspoon of asafoetida/ kayam/ hing
- 2 pinches of sugar
- 5 tablespoons of Kashmiri red chilli powder (may be increased as per your taste)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 4 tablespoons of vinegar
- 5 tablespoons of sesame oil/ gingerly oil/ nallenna
- Salt for taste
- Wash mangoes well and wipe with a towel. When it is dried, (ensure your hand is dry) cut mangoes into small pieces. (You can peel off its skin slightly)
- Add enough salt and vinegar to mango pieces. With a dry spoon mix it well so that salt and vinegar reaches everywhere.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. When it splutters, reduce heat to low.
- Add red chili powder and curry leaves and sauté it.
- When its raw smell disappears, add crushed mustard seeds, asafoetida and sugar.
- Now add entire mango pieces and give a good mix so that chilli powder mixture reaches everywhere uniformly. Check for salt. Add if required.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Take off from heat. Let it cool and store in air tight bottle.
Amount of red chili powder can be adjusted to your taste.
Always use a dry spoon whenever you take mango pickle.
You can have this pickle whenever you wanna have a hot–ty and a little sour-y taste. This is best when paired with rice. But you can have this with flat breads like chapattis or nan. Try this and enjoy this pickle.