Pistachio Gelato without ice cream maker is one among many posts which I prepared 9 months ago. But I couldn’t post it. Now I feel sad that I didn’t air this pistachio gelato recipe at the peak of summer. Anyway this post would be helpful for my dear readers who belong to the different parts of the globe where summer is not over yet. You could make and enjoy this best Italian gelato recipe.
Being told that, I am a person who enjoys ice creams in snowy winter. Do you feel weird about me…? I know… I am 😉 Take a portion of this pistachio dessert, and close your eyes – you will feel the goodness of pistachio, almond and the gelato slowly melting inside your mouth. Thank God! It came out well.
Other Ice cream and frozen dessert recipes in this space are Italian Amaretto semifreddo, easy avocado ice cream with video, mint sherbet. Love some mousse recipes…? You have caramel banana mousse with no gelatin and mango mousse with no egg no gelatin .
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of unsalted shelled pistachios
- ¾ cup of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 drops of green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (I used Wilton)
- Combine the pistachios with ¼ cup of sugar. Pulse them until nuts are finely chopped. (See Notes 1)
- Take a heavy medium saucepan, pour milk and put chopped pistachios with milk. Bring it to a simmer on medium heat. Remove from heat, cover it with a lid and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ½ cup of sugar and salt. Return to medium heat, occasionally stir until sugar is well combined and is hot. It takes about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly with a wire whisk. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of warm pistachio milk. Whisk the egg mixture into the remaining pistachio milk mixture in the saucepan. Heat the milk mixture in the saucepan on medium low flame. Cook and stir continuously until the custard thickens and gets coated on the back of your spoon. (See Notes #2)
- Strain the custard in a bowl. (See Notes #3)
- Whisk in food coloring.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours until custard is very cold. Now stir in almond extract.
- Freeze for 1 hour. Take it out; blend it on high speed in a blender. Repeat it for 3 to 4 times and freeze it for 6 to 8 hours.
- If you have an ice cream maker, then skip the step mentioned after stirring in almond extract and churn custard according to manufacturer’s directions and freeze overnight.
#1 While chopping pistachio sugar mixture in the food processor, take care it doesn’t turn into a paste
#2 Do not let the mixture boil. It may result in curdling of egg yolks.
#3 This is to avoid any lumps. You can discard the nuts if you want. But we love nuts in ice cream. Your choice…!!!
Let the scoops of Pistachio gelato fill your heart and tummy to the fullest with no worries of having an ice cream maker….!!!