Halloween is on its way. Last week, we had dads pumpkin carving night with daughter. Anish carved a beautiful tinker bell and cat on pumpkin. He bought some cans of pumpkin. I believe this is the appropriate time to fill your hearts with smiling pumpkin varieties.
I love to prepare desserts from its scratch. That gives an immense satisfaction and joy. I made peach tart before. Some other fruit desserts in this space are plum crumble, pear cobbler and mango mousse.
Pumpkin pie from scrach
Makes two 9 inch crust
Recipe type: Dessert
- For pie crust:
- Makes two 9 inch pie crust
- ⅔ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoon of cold water
- Pumpkin pie filling:
- 1 (12 fl oz)can of evaporated milk
- ¾ cup of granulated white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 15 oz of pure pumpkin puree *
- ¼ cup of whipping cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- Pie crust
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt. Add shortening with pastry blender or knives until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle water and mix them until it holds together.
- Take half of the dough into a ball. Wrap the other half with cling and refrigerate for later use. On a roughly floured surface, roll out the dough into ⅛ inch thickness.
- Line a pie plate with pastry. Turn edge under and crimp edges as desired. Prick lined pastry with fork and freeze it for 30 minutes.
- Pumpkin pie filling:
- Preheat your oven to 4250F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Stir in pumpkin puree. Slowly pour evaporated milk and stir well.
- Take the prepared pie plate from refrigerator and pour the filling, into it till its three- fourth.
- Bake for 15 minutes and reduce the temperature to 3500F and bake for 40 to 50 minutes till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Pumpkin pie filling:
Beat whipping cream with sugar till stiff peaks. For details, click here.
While serving, top with whipping cream.
I used Libby’s pumpkin for pies.
This is the traditional holiday pumpkin pie recipe, which I got from the product leaf of Libby’s pumpkin. By Gods grace, this homemade pumpkin pie scored well on our dinner table. Even the little one asked “mommmy…… could u please give me more…….? ” Decorate your dinner table with this pumpkin pie and serve 🙂